Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Flyin' For Cows

Snow has descended on the mountains, making it hard for #1 to get up there and check on the cattle and the gates and things. He tried to drive up in the truck the other day, with no luck. Even with tire chains and the four wheeler, he didn't even get close to where he needed to go.

Apparently there are two ways #1 could get there, both of which he'd have to pack in. Depending on where the cows are, he could 1) ride up from here (about a two-day's ride) or 2) ride in from GBNP. I'm not sure how long that would take, but if the cows aren't that way, it would be a wasted trip. He needs to know where the cows are before he packs up and heads out.

The easiest way to see where the cattle are in these cases? Fly.

That's where #1 is right now, flying high above the ranch, over places with names like Plateau and Basin and Maverick.

They'd been trying to get in the air for several days now, and finally, the wind died down enough to do it. #1 and C.G. went in to the local small town airport, really a glorified (and by glorified I mean paved) landing strip, and took off with Pilot Gray this morning. Unfortunately, the only thing #1 took with him was binoculars, which don't take pictures so I won't have any to share with you. All I can tell you--the sun is shining, there's snow on the red rocks and it's got to be gorgeous up there.

They buzzed over the ranch headquarters about three times, and wouldn't you know it I forgot to grab my camera the first two times! And the third, although I had my camera in hand, I didn't see which way they went. Thankfully Pilot Gray is a good pilot, so I didn't worry too much.

And the very best part? I just got a text message from #1 that said, "Made it down."

No comments: