Saturday, January 26, 2008

Brand New Windows!

You can see a "before" picture of this window, currently the master bedroom, here, near the bottom. After the addition is complete, this room will become the domain of H-Bomb and Sawed Off, complete with bunk beds. You can see how much bigger the new windows will be...

And here they are! Aren't they beautiful? Now I have to think about window treatments. We've decided on Roman shades for this room and the other bedroom, I just have to find some fabric and then construct them. That's right, I am going to make Roman shades all by myself. (If you have any experience, tips, hints, etc., feel free to comment. Please. Help? I'm a bit nervous. But I'm sure they will turn out great.)



Here is a before picture of H-Bomb's current bedroom/storage room. I know, I need to organize some things. And below, the new windows, inside and out. These will also get Roman shades. I have a lot of work ahead of me. Too bad the nearest good fabric store is in the next state, and a six hour round trip!



Doesn't the house look so much better with these two sets of windows being the same size and style? I think so. Before, every single window on this house was a different size. I'm not kidding about this, we measured. Now, it is more esthetically pleasing. And the windows actually open! And close! And there will be actual screens!!



Yesterday, our living room window went in. I can't find a "before" picture of it right now, but it was teeny-tiny compared to this. You'll just have to trust me. Unfortunately, the whole window thing did NOT fall and shatter into a million irreparable pieces as I had hoped, so we are stuck with no way to install our air conditioner. And, we have discovered that the house is constructed of 2 x 2 boards, instead of 2 x 4's. No wonder we have had so much trouble finding studs. There is also an electrical wire that run from our outside light to the outlet (you can see it in the picture below, lower right hand side of the window) that we will have to deal with.

And also, when they were installing the living room window, it caused the door jam to crack and our front door no longer shuts. Of course we didn't realize this until after the contractor had left for the weekend. We are supposed to get a new front door anyway, so I'm not too worried. But, given that is in the balmy low 40's today, it would be really nice to be able to close the door. Se la vie.


At least our new windows look nice. They will look much nicer when we can get all the construction materials out of our front yard and the flowers start coming up. IF they survived being stomped on by the builders, that is.

No comments: