Monday, January 7, 2008

Dogs in the Night

Sundial At Night


We have a lot of dogs on the ranch right now. I'll do another post about them later, after I take some new photos of the puppies who are practically all grown up by now. Because there are so many dogs, currently we alone have seven, we can't let them all in the house at once. Obviously. Occasionally, we do let one or two dogs in to cuddle and warm up and get trained.

The dogs pretty much have free rein of the ranch most of the time. They get to run around and play and hunt and laze about when Number One isn't out working. Sometimes, they find things, treasures if you will, to either bring home (gross) or roll in (ewwww). I'm undecided as to which is worse: finding some random body part of some random partially-decomposed and chewed up animal, or reaching to pet a dog and almost throwing up because their fur has carries the stench of death. It's a toss up.

Sometimes, a lucky dog or two will be in the right place at the right time, and is allowed into the house. But as soon as they come in, we basically have to smell them. This is where the cute part about H-Bomb comes in.

Recently, there has been some kind of dead thing out on the ranch somewhere, only the dogs know about it. And I do mean, every single one of those dogs knows about it. The stench has been lingering. For a while there was not one dog we could let into the house.

Around Christmas time, we let a dog in, and H-Bomb was the first to go pet him. We asked H-Bomb, "Does he stink?"

H-Bomb replied, "No, he just smells like the night."

Isn't that a beautiful observation? Poetic. I just love it.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I love it!!! It fills my soul with wonder..the phrases of children.