Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Bathroom Tile: The Wall


I've already told you that I'm positive the thought of tiling our master bathroom caused the Contractor many sleepless nights. Well, I'm fairly certain the shower wall today almost gave him an aneurysm.

It all started when he discovered he'd have to make 20 more angled cuts on 20 more tiles. Luckily his permanent marker hadn't worn off the tile saw platform, so that wasn't so bad.


Then he had to make a cut to come up over the tub edge.


Again, not so bad. But we kept messing up, both of us. We both made cuts that were just plain wrong. It wasn't a good day. I probably jinxed it when I said, "Look at all that extra tile we have! I bet we'll have a couple boxes left over to return."

I know I jinxed it. Contractor even said, "you shouldn't have said that." We dropped one of the rail edge pieces that cost almost $6 each. But I glued it back together. But still.


Our mud was drying way too fast, so we were moving much faster than when we did the floor. And I dropped a couple 3"x12" border pieces, which broke, of course.

And then. Then it was time for the cut going around the window frame. And also a cut on the same tile, on the angle to accommodate an offset 6" tile. Contractor said, "You don't know what you're asking me to do." And he drew it out. He was positive the tile was going to break. He was just sitting on the floor, looking at his red marks.


I said, "You're not going to have an aneurysm, are you?"

He just looked at me. (I think he may have had a little one.)

I said, "You can do it."

He said, "It's going to break."

And out he went, to the tile saw. I decided it was probably best if I didn't go out there until he was finished.

After what seemed an eternity, he came back inside. The tile was cut! And here it is, in place:



Isn't it just gorgeous? Contractor said he planned to come back tomorrow, to finish the tile on the tub surround. I said I planned on making cookies.

3 comments:

Rene' said...

looks really pretty---u guys are definately sprucing everything up, eh? :) no more cattle ranch-you can start calling it the four seasons! :)

Min said...

I guess since the nearest spa is about four hours away, I had to make my own =)

Cheryl said...

Tile looks great. The corner piece is a masterpiece! Sure hope the contractor gets some sleep now that that is finished! Did you share cookies w/him?