Sunday, June 14, 2009

Bathroom Tile, Day Two

Friday, Contractor and I geared up for Day Two of Tiling the Bathroom Floor. This is where most of the tile cutting came in, and I got a lot of practice!

I cut a bunch of tiles, the ones that just needed a straight cut or two. So basically, I cut all the tiles around the perimeter and at the end of the tub, and in the toilet area (except for the four tiles that surround the plumbing). I used the manual tile cutter (very similar to a glass cutter in that it just scores the tiles and then you break them, so I had some prior experience). By the end of the day, this cowgirl was cuttin' tiles like a pro. Pretty much.

I also used the tile saw, which is basically the same as a rock saw, so no big deal. I may even try slicing some jade I've got while that saw is still here. The only thing I really didn't like about the tile saw is getting covered in ceramic tile dust and spray...I don't remember that from lapidary work, but maybe it's just been too long? My hands and face were so dry and gritty by the end of the day. I suppose that's why lotion was invented. Also I must have cleaned my glasses at least 57 times! But Rene' was right: Tiling is fun!

Soon I will show you the gorgeous results of all our hard work. For now, the first half of the floor is covered with brown paper to protect it from flingin' mud. I could take it off to show you, but I just don't feel like it right now!

Now ALL that is left is tiling up and over the tub surround, and two shower walls. I better get to designing my pattern, I think Contractor is coming back Monday. He's such a slave driver.

~~~

*Update: I measured and designed the wall pattern this morning (Monday). Contractor has been showing up around noonish, so I should have plenty of time to change my mind 5 or 6 times before he gets here~

Stay tuned for pictures!

1 comment:

Rene' said...

funny! I only grouted, I'm proud of u for cutting! that's awesome!