I got there before they all did, and I heard some cattle in the canyon so I hiked over to the edge. Not far, but I was glad I had some Gatorade with me. It was hot and it was beautiful--the cacti were in bloom, and some other wildflowers too.






At the canyon edge, I saw that the cows were pushed through the gate and the gate was up. I didn't see any riders, so I turned to walk back. Then one rider came out from behind a rock. He was looking all over the place. It was too far to see who it was, so I whooped. He looked around more, and I yelled "Up here!" It was Ranchhand, and he yelled back, asking if I'd seen "any people on horses." I told him it was me, and that I hadn't seen them. He rode for a little ways, then yelled, "I see them!"
When Number One and CG got to the truck, Number One asked if I wanted to go ride the four wheeler to check the other gates. I said sure, since Wifey had the boys. Number One and I, with Coffee riding on the back, took off down the switchbacks into the canyon. There were two creek crossings that were pretty deep, but the four wheeler made it. I was a bit nervous about the crossings since we had less than half a Gatorade and many miles to go to get back to the ranch. (for the record, people have left notes on their stuck vehicles that said "I'm headed to the ranch" and have never been found).
So there was this thistle in the middle of the road, and Number One drove right over it on the way to the gate. I made him stop when we came back to it so I could take this picture. Amazing how tough these plants are--run over by a four wheeler and still beautiful.

We dipped in the icy creek and headed back. I couldn't get as wet as I wanted to because I had to carry the camera in my pocket. We did take turns driving because of the darn thumb throttle--on a bumpy road your thumb starts to ache after a while. It was nice to be on the four wheeler with no boys to worry about, a little break. I wish it could happen more often.
No comments:
Post a Comment