
Most of you are aware that we generate our own electricity on the ranch. We have a diesel generator that powers all the houses, outbuildings and the barn. With the price of diesel skyrocketing, life as we know it is about to change.
We are used to having power all day long, and shutting the generator off at night. In an experiment to save money, CG is wanting to shut the generator off during the day as well. We were just talking about it, and if we shut the power off from 10:AM until 2: or 3:PM, it might have a significant impact on our fuel consumption.
But what would this mean for us? No power during the day. We wouldn't be able to use lights, wash laundry or dishes, watch TV, use the Internet, or flush the toilet. I wouldn't be able to blog whenever I wanted to. It sounds like a huge inconvenience, but we don't have a choice. We'll just have to plan ahead.
I'll do a couple loads of laundry in the morning, and a few more in the evening. I'll store jugs of water for drinking (plus one in the bathroom for flushin') The boys won't be able to watch movies any time they want (which is a good thing). I will miss the Internet, but with a battery on my laptop I could still write my blogs, and post them in the evening. I will have to put batteries in my CD player. It's possible I will get more things accomplished (as long as they don't require any kind of electricity)
I suggested investigating switching the power to a solar system, with the diesel as a backup. Or looking into wind. Or something. The price of fuel is only going to increase, it makes sense to look at alternatives which would pay for themselves in short order, perhaps even in a year or two. Or less.
If you NEED to contact me, please do it before 10:AM my time, or in the evening. :-(
I'll keep you posted as things develop. If I'm not online, you'll know why...
No comments:
Post a Comment