Sawed Off woke up first, as usual, and ate two bowls of Cheerios, followed by Cheddar Jalapeño Cheetos. He loves both of those.
Wifey offered to get some things from town for me, and brought her computer over for a quick fix because she couldn't close her browser window. Did I ever tell you I'm the resident computer expert?
H-Bomb woke up a little later, but wasn't ready to eat breakfast. He just wanted Garlic Pistachios. Which I had to shell for him.
I decided to get on the ball and make a double batch of Annaley's Prairie Fire Beans so I can freeze them and have them ready to take to my 20 year high school reunion in July. (I realize I just gave you an opportunity to do the math and figure out my age, but I still look young enough to get carded for beer, so I could deny deny deny if I really wanted to!)
The boys decided to play outside, naked, in the little kiddie pool, and then on the swing set, and then with their trucks. They've been busy too.
I never thought I could find a way to improve Annaley's classic recipe, but to be honest, I have. I start off frying onions in lard, the Mexican way, and then continue on with the recipe. They have such a great, smoky flavor! And I know I've said this before, but there is no better smell, except maybe coffee brewing in the morning, than onions fryin' up in lard. Trust me on this.
Once the beans and ham hocks went in the pot, I went out, still in my pajamas/yoga attire, greasy hair and all, to stake out the little goats.
But those little goats, Woody and Jessie, were not being cooperative. They were happy to see me, but then on the way to the stake they got distracted by some fresh little elm tree whips.
Then, they were about to jump on their favorite rock, but got distracted by the flowers Wifey planted around the base. Whoops! I pushed them onto the rock, then missed catching video of their usual morning bucking/kicking/leaping acrobatics to get off the other side.
We ran, the goats and I, between our house and the commissary, past the gas tanks, and it was going pretty well: I could see the darn stake, over there between the bath house and the little log cabin, nicely shaded. Unfortunately for me, all the goats could see was fresh alfalfa growing in the sunny yard behind the bunk house. I got their water ready, untangled their ropes. After 20 minutes of cajoling and bribery, I gave up. I went and pulled up their stake, and tied them out where they stood and moved their water. They don't have any shade right now, but it's only 10:30am so they'll be okay for a while. Perhaps once they eat all the alfalfa, they'll be ready to move.
The good news is, I finally found the darn sledgehammer that's been missing for at least a week. And the ground in the yard was fairly soft, especially with a good sledgehammer to pound in the stake instead of the lame rock I'd been using!
Back at the house, the beans are bubbling away on the stove, the boys (still naked) are eating fresh cherries (which I, of course, had to pit by hand for Sawed Off b/c my cherry pitter thingie is packed away in the cabin somewhere, and if I didn't he would just crunch up or swallow the pits), and I am finishing this blog. All before 11:am.
I already feel like I accomplished a lot today, but there is always more to do. I got more jalapeños the other day, and I need to get another batch of Bacon Wrapped Jalapeños in the freezer! (you can never have too many!) And then there's the Steak Fajitas I need to prepare and freeze because I don't know if the meat will last until Number One gets home from the Basin! And I still would really like to take a shower! If I feel like it later today, I'll do another post to let you know what I've been up to.
No comments:
Post a Comment