Saturday, September 1, 2007

Remodel?


You've seen the roof. Now let me fill you in on some background.

Our house is literally falling down around us. There's the roof. Our front door is an interior door with a large hole in it that someone punched. There are broken windows and no screens all around. If you look closely at the roof pictures, you can see that the top of the garage door no longer attaches. I could go on, but these details are beside the point.

We have been negotiating with ABEG for several YEARS to get an addition on our house. It is tiny, we have a family, what happens if we leave and they have to hire an "actual" ranch manager? (they are not very far-sighted unless it fits into the scheme of their World Domination Plan--I'm not kidding, by the way, I've been to their meetings). Anyway, this housing would not be suitable for an "actual" ranch manager, yada, yada, yada. So. Finally. We came to an agreement, submitted a good plan, compromised (we wanted a second story, but came up with a different plan when they said no), met with the contractor, you name it.

We had an agreement, a few weeks ago it almost came crashing down but ABEG relented after C.G. and I both told them their "alternative to addition" plan was unacceptable.

Finally. ABEG's "legal" was all over it, getting the contract together. Ground was scheduled to be broken on September 10th. (As far as we know, our contractor has been in a holding pattern waiting for ABEG to get their shit together).

This morning, we get this email: (emphasis is mine)

I just wanted to let you know that our attorney was unable to complete that contract for the remodel before she left for vacation, so a more realistic start date is now Sept 17. I'll call and let [Contractor] know.

Are you kidding me? "Unable?" Since when is "unable" even in a lawyer's vocabulary? Seriously. You have got to be fucking kidding. This is laughable, right? Years of negotiation, and their lawyer is "unable" to complete a contract for which they should have at least a skeleton of a form anyway...

Unbelievable.

No comments: