Friday, August 31, 2007

This is Why We Need A New Roof...

A photo blog. The only way to properly demonstrate our dire need for a new roof. #1 and I have been harping on ABEG for years now about a new roof. We recently found out from C.G. that ABEG had a new roof for our house on its budget agenda 10 years ago!! Finally, it appears as though we might be getting one! ABEG has agreed to give us an addition, and a new roof (to allow for the addition) is to be part of their "phase I" remodel plan. And just in the nick of time. I noticed this the other day (look, it's "supporting" our satellite internet dish):

Several years ago, I found a length of 2x4 with nails sticking out of it beside the house. What's this? We tried to figure it out. Looking up, it had fallen off the roof. As you can see below, the left half does not have the same edge the right half does. And, you will see that the other pieces of 2x4 all around the roof are NOT FAR behind.


The next picture is of the right edge of that side of the roof above, the one with the 2x4 edge still attached, but apparently, just barely attached, I'm just guessing because I can see daylight shining through there...Since that edge piece fell off, the roof doesn't have enough support (did it ever? looks pretty shoddily-constructed to me) and the whole corner of the roof began to...SAG.


Looking down the length of the roof, you can see that not only does the right edge sag, but look! The left edge sags too! Whee!
The next picture is a detail of that left edge. The whole thing just appears to be falling apart, doesn't it? The shingles are peeling up, the partical board that they used for the roof base (I don't know terminology) is warped and pulling away from the 2x4.



The roof leaks in several rooms in the house, including dripping down onto the water heater and into the gas heater in one of the bedrooms whenever it rains. (Luckily, we live in the desert).

When #1 took out an old stove pipe (which leaked) so we could fit in the boys' bunkbeds, he used a whole package of shingles to repair the hole because when he tried to slide the new shingles under the old shingles, the old ones kept crumbling.

The satellite dish installer, when he came to adjust our internet dish, said there was absolutely no solid place on our roof to attach the thing, that's why it wobbles and we have poor internet service, because our roof is "disintigrating." And, the 2x4 wasn't even falling off like this when he was last here...



Huh. Perhaps this is a contributing factor to our satellite internet problems? That is a cable that runs from our dish to the router, I believe. We'll have to do something about that. I'm sure it wasn't designed to hold up a freakin' roof.

You can see just how thin the particle board (or tar paper?) base is from how this cord is slicing through it like a knife through butta'.

You know, H-Bomb could build us a better roof out of his damn Legos. If the contractor doesn't show up as scheduled on September 10, I will get that kid on it.

No comments: