Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Clearing the Fields

The other day I asked Wifey to watch H-Bomb and Sawed Off while I helped move the cows out of the hay fields. Number One saddled up my mustang, Calamity, for me, while I got ready.





I don't believe I've been on a horse since last summer. I was in a hurry to get ready because Number One and RanchHand were already saddled, and I was NOT going to wear my Citizens jeans to go riding. I changed into my Levi's 501's, slathered on some sunscreen (imperative) and got my hat wet so it could stretch to fit my head better while it dried. I totally forgot to grab my new chinks that I got for Christmas, and also forgot spurs. At least I was wearing Levi's. They help me feel like a cowgirl. My boots too!

We drove out to Field One, and started gathering the cows. The basic plan was to gather the fields, pushing cattle from one to the next, until Field Seven, at which point we would push them out into the canyon. We've started irrigating the fields, and the cattle love the fresh greens that are coming up. But we'll need those fresh greens to grow in order to feed the cattle later, so the cows can't be hanging out in the fields right now. RH rode down to the beginning of Field One to bring these cattle back, while Number One and I rounded up some that were under a tree in the opposite corner of the field.




The picture above was taken in Field One, across the fence in the foreground is Field Two and just past/in front of the Island (left) is Field Three (right) where the hay barn is. We gathered cows in every field, and pushed them around in front of the Island toward the next field.


The cattle were fairly well-scattered, but once they saw us coming, they knew the drill and moved right along, for the most part. The calves sometimes get confused and lose their mamas, but Number One helps them figure out where the gate is. (unless they walk through the fence first) This one needed a little help, but it didn't take long.



I probably shouldn't admit to you that at some point, right around here, I thought I saw a few cows that we missed. You know, back in the dirt hills and sagebrush, at the edge of the plowed fields. I even told Number One we had missed some, and we rode back together through the previous field. And then, there was nothing there but dirt hills. Red dirt hills, I feel like I must clarify, red dirt hills that, from a distance, look like red angus cows. I swear they do.


This cactus was blooming! I convinced Calamity to stand still for two seconds while I took this picture. Cactus blooms mean Spring is here! Finally! Right?





There are lots of interesting things to see out in the desert. Honestly it's just nice to get OUT! This cow didn't make it. One day we'll come back to pick up his skull for H-Bomb and Sawed Off's skull & stone sculptures.


I don't know who rode my saddle last, but man oh man did they have short legs! My knees were killing me! Number One had to come over halfway through our ride and lengthen my stirrups. He's helpful that way.


After we pushed the cattle through this gate, and they were heading off to the right, Number One had to ride around to the front and turn them back toward the left of this picture, toward the gate to the canyon. Not hard, you just have to anticipate where the cows are going to go, and get them going the right way. Calamity and I brought up the rear. Beyond the corral is a hill, followed by a bunch of prickly brush, and the gate is somewhere down there. So it was a bit challenging keeping the cows together and heading the right way. Some of them simply Did. Not. Want. To. Go. that way.


Calamity isn't used to me, and really hasn't been ridden a lot of hours. Plus I didn't have my spurs. So you should have seen the speed at which she chased a runaway cow. NOT. I got a little frustrated with her. Especially after essentially w a l k i n g after a cow, losing it through the gate we had just pushed her through, and then (then??) she starts breathing hard? Are you kiddin' me, Calamity?? Anyway, maybe next time, with my spurs on, she will be a bit more responsive to where (and how fast!) I would like her to go...

And the runaway cow? Well, she kept trotting, almost all the way back from whence she came. Yes, she trotted ahead of us, from Field Seven almost all the way to Field One. Crazy thing. Number One and RH had already closed the last gate, and they'll have to re-ride the fields and the creek anyway, so they didn't really care. And my horse couldn't care less. In fact, she almost (almost, just barely) actually trotted herself. Back to the truck and trailer! Sheesh.

No comments: