Sunday, April 13, 2008

Bull Sale 2008!



Every spring, Number One's Uncle P. has a Bull Sale. The whole family (and tons of folks from the surrounding area!) gathers for an awesome meal followed by the auction of some of the best Angus bulls you will ever see. This year, they estimated that around 650 lunches were served!

This is a huge family effort. It's a good thing Uncle P. has 7 brothers and sisters, and 7 kids of his own! Incidentally, many of those 7 kids also have kids...I don't believe it will ever end! Number One has a humongous extended family.


The bull sale is a haven for little cowboys (and little cowgirls too!)


It could,however, be a potential disaster for the likes of Buzz Lightyear and Woody.



Uncle B. (and perhaps a cousin or two) get up around 4:00AM to start cooking the meat in this huge grill. I don't know all the details, I just know the end result is delectable.


I should have taken more pictures of the food. It draws people from surrounding counties and indeed surrounding states, and is an example of community that seems lacking in other places these days. The recipes are largely the legacy of Number One's grandmother, with some changes and embellishments by her daughters and grandaughters. Dishes including the infamous Prairie Fire, Cowboy Beans, coleslaw, and BBQ sauce that is to die for. Top it off with a branded brownie and some lemonade, and you have one heck of a meal!

We always take a walk to Aunt D's ranch house to check out her beautiful blooming flowers, take a break from the sale activity (and noise!) and relax and visit for a while.



There are usually a number of colts for sale, this year only two. This one was so tired by the end of the day, he just had to take a nap. "What, who, me? I'm not...oh, it's just you."


"I'll go back to sleep then."


I don't know if there is anything cuter than kids on a hay bale.


And, just so you get a feel for the action, here is a video of the sale of one bull. (this one went at a steal, by the way, it seemed to me most bulls were going for more than twice this price!)



At the end of the sale, bull buyers are eligible for prizes, including a Peg Perego Kids John Deere Gator, Pendleton Wool Blankets, Cabela's gift certificates and for the big kids, and a Yamaha 4X4 Rhino.

After all the excitement, part of the family heads to the old ranch house, AKA Annaley's house, to play cards, visit and eat leftovers.


What a fantastic day. We can't wait for next year.

No comments: