Monday, February 25, 2008

Sushi in Santa Barbara!! (and shopping too)


While we were in Santa Barbara, Number One, H-Bomb, Sawed Off and I went out for sushi with Number One's cousin Eric & wife Ashlie, and aunt Maraley. We ate at a restaurant called Pirahna, unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the front and I can't find a website. The sushi and sashimi were excellent! We had a very nice dinner and visit with our relatives, who we don't see often enough.

H-Bomb was excited to try the sushi, and tells everyone now that he ate "RAW FISH!!!" He also loved the eel and kept asking for more seaweed. The rolls were delicious. Sawed Off liked the sashimi best, and both boys were on their best behavior for this culinary experience.

Earlier that day, my friend Nira had come to visit us at the hotel, and we all went to the beach. She had noticed on her way that a high end consignment store was having a sidewalk sale. We left the boys with Number One that afternoon and went to the sale.

At the consignment store, everything on the sidewalk was 75% off! We were excited, and went through all the racks. I even picked out a pair of sandals. The store had a little screen set up on the sidewalk, for trying things on. I tried not to think about the exposure as I tried on some clothes. While I was behind the screen, in my underwear, the owner of the store came out with a box of plastic bags. She said, "Take a bag, whatever you can fit in there, you can have for $20. If the bag breaks, it will cost double."

Nira came over, and we looked at all our stuff. We decided we could combine everything we had, including my shoes, to fit it into one bag. We both had seen jackets we liked, so we grabbed those and threw them in the bag too. We gingerly carried the bag up to the register, threw a couple scarves on top, and handed the girl $20! It was such a score! Designer labels, Marc Jacobs, Ann Taylor, Lotta Stensson, BCBGMAXAZRIA, so many clothes! We each ended up with about 10 items: capris, skirts, jackets, tops. Every piece ended up costing us a dollar each! So exciting!

And then, walking to sushi wearing my new Ann Taylor capris, my new sandals and my new little denim coat, holding Sawyer's hand, some random guy said "that's a lucky kid, he's got good taste!" And normally that would be kind of creepy on the sidewalk, but I was looking fabulous after all so I said "Thanks!"

I added up the prices on the tags, from the consignment store mind you, and my clothes alone were almost $300! On consignment! At 75% off, they still would have been close to $75! And I got them all for $10!!! (and my Marc Jacobs capris still had an original Marc Jacobs tag!) I still can't believe we got so lucky!

No comments: