Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Sawed Off is Two Years Old!



Although his actual birthday was spent driving through California/Arizona, we did sing Happy Birthday to Sawed Off in the van, ate fresh oranges all day long, and the boys had ice cream sandwiches after dinner in the hotel restaurant. They also got to swim in the pool, so they had some fun at least.

I still need to do some blogging about our California trip, but that will have to come later. Since we got home, preparations for Sawed Off's Red Tractor party on Saturday have begun in earnest!

On Monday, I printed and glued the invitations, then mailed them on Tuesday. Hopefully they have started arriving in the mail today?

Today, I cut some bandannas into squares, then sewed them to make bean bags for a bean bag toss. H-Bomb, Sawed Off and Number One helped fill the bags with rice (I suppose technically they are rice bags, but that's what was old and stale in CG's pantry, so that's what we've got). Now I have to hand-sew the bags shut. I told Number One he might have to help me sew. We made sixteen little "rice" bags!


I also drew a red tractor (see picture above) on a piece of plywood, which Number One cut out and sanded to make into the "target" for the bean bag toss. It turned out great! He cut out holes where the headlights go and a larger hole in the cab window for the littler kids. There will be prizes! But I'm not telling what they are so it will be a surprise. I will paint the red tractor tomorrow while Sawed Off is napping.

I try to have a schedule for these things, so I'm not rushing around quite so much at the last minute. Tomorrow I will make the tractor-shaped cake and buttercream frosting, Friday I will decorate the cake and make the potato salad, that sort of thing. I hope to have the bean/rice bags finished tonight. Of course, in between all that is cleaning the entire house/yard/etc. (wish us luck with that part!)

It's gonna be a fun party. I will try to post more pictures as things are ready.

No comments: