They drove about 20 miles into the mountains, and packed their horses and gear another 10 miles into the Basin. There is a cabin there, with a woodstove, so shelter was not an issue. While they were in there, we got pounded with snow storms. To the point that those of us down at Ranch HQ were hoping they would be able to make it home.
During the trip, one of Number One's favorite cowdogs, Stanley, had an unfortunate accident and didn't come home. Number One didn't see what happened, but Stanley must have slipped and fallen off a cliff. It was a sad day. We do have a couple of Stanley's pups, so that helps a bit. And one of them, Donut, is just as big and pushy and affectionate as his dad was, so that helps too.
So, after a few days, Number One and RH got their work done, and headed out on their horses. They started to leave a day earlier than planned in case the snow one way was too deep for the horses, then they could turn around, spend another night in the Basin and then head out the other way, through GBNP if they needed to.
They rode the 10 miles to the truck and trailer, and found that the truck was drifted in. Stuck. There was no getting it out without some kind of plow. So they rode their horses all the way home that night, 30 miles total, through drifting, blowing snow. Both guys were cold and sore by the time they got home, and I'm sure the horses were too. Number One said there was one point when he thought the snow might be too deep and they might have to turn around, but they pushed through it and made it home.
Since then, Number One has been trying to go up there and get the truck. It's been snowing more and more, so he has been holding off, waiting for a break in the weather. Then he went to get the tractor ready, hook up the bucket and the snow plow, and of course something had to be welded on it so that day was shot.
Yesterday, he had everything ready and headed up there around 9:00am. He didn't make it home until almost 5:00pm, when CG and I were starting to worry and thinking about driving up there ourselves. He pulled in driving the same vehicle he started out with: the tractor. He had driven up and plowed drifts and plowed drifts until he was probably within a quarter mile of the truck, but then not only were the drifts up to the cab of the tractor, the pin that holds the plow on broke. So he had to turn around and come back, leaving the truck and trailer up there in the elements.
That means he's going to have to drive the tractor up there again, after he gets it fixed, of course. Next time he goes, I'll have him take the camera so we can share some photos of his work.
UPDATE--Number One was able to reach the truck with the tractor. And this is what he encountered:
Luckily, yesterday, the tractor was up to the task. Number One shoveled and plowed and freed the truck and trailer. Then he had to drive the tractor all the way home again.
Today, he is headed up to get the truck and trailer. He's riding the four wheeler up there, which will be a long, cold haul, but I was debating going with him. It would be fun to bundle up and ride, leaving H-Bomb and Sawed Off in care of C.G. for a while, taking a much-needed break.
I had decided to go, and C.G. had told Number One she could watch the boys, when she suddenly changed her mind. She decided that she needs to head to the Big City today, and she can't wait until we would get back. Even if the time we would most likely get back would only delay her an hour. I have to say I'm disappointed. I do understand that things could happen, we could take longer than anticipated, but still. I kind of wanted to go. And now I'm stuck here with the boys, all by myself. Again. :-(
2 comments:
LOVED your story on PW's blog!!
Oh my that is alot of snow! We do not get that here! I will be visiting again, I found you via One Cowgirls blog! Have a great and blessed day!
Post a Comment