Sunday, January 4, 2009

Winter Projects


The thing I like about winter around the ranch, is that Number One doesn't have to work so hard. Once all the cattle are in their various winter ranges where they belong, and once they finally decide they ought to stay in their various winter ranges, the work slows down and we're free to work on other projects. It also gives us more family time, and the boys and I love having their dad around more!

For me, I still have to take H-Bomb to school, but I do get some relief since Number One is able to keep Sawed Off home with him sometimes, or takes both boys to school and I get to stay home sometimes. So I get to catch up on projects too!

I thought it would be fun to show you what we're all working on. I always have a list of projects that I'm "working" on, but this winter I have actually made some progress!

Back in June, our dear friends in Wyoming had their first baby, a sweet little girl. I decided to make a quilt for her, among other things. Once I sat down to it, I got the quilt top finished:


I will show you a picture when the entire quilt is completed, which should be this week. If I buckle down. When it's done, it will be the same style as this quilt I made last spring, but more girly, of course! It's hard to see in the picture, but the floral squares have gorgeous sage green leaves, so the back and the yarn will be a matching sage green. It is going to be very sweet. I have to check and see if I really bought the batting and yarn already, since last time I was at the store they were OUT of crib batting. I hope I already have some, it would make things much more convenient.

I have also been working on a pet project, just for me. The thrift store in town receives TONS of blue jeans, and many of those are not fit for wearing, in the store owner's opinion. So she collects the castoffs in garbage bags, then gives them away for FREE. I have gotten several bags from her, and have also been saving all Number One's raggedy old jeans, with the plan to someday make a denim rag rug.

But in the meantime, I sorted the thrift store bags out in various shades of denim. (I also found several pairs for me and the boys to wear...on a ranch, it takes a lot of damage before jeans are considered "not fit for wearing.")

For this project, I chose the lightest jeans, and cut them into squares. I used pockets, seams, belt loops, etc. I found a sweet little floral fabric by Moda, and alternated it with the jean squares. I decided that even if the belt loops overlapped onto the floral, I would just leave them on and tack them down, to make it unique (and kind of quirky). After several sewing machine needles, I finally have the quilt top for this completed. (the picture below shows a few more rows that aren't attached, but trust me, it's all together now!)


Below is a detail of one of the functioning pockets, and an overlapping belt loop!


There are many pockets, from the backs and fronts of jeans, skirts, shorts, etc. The seams and detailing (rivets, stitching, etc) add so much interest. I am in love! I am going to back it with a cozy red flannel, and I cannot wait to snuggle up in this cute quilt! I think it will even be large enough for our double bed in town, if I choose to use it there.

I can't wait to work on more of these jean quilts, with different fabrics, but I think I will stay with the quirky pockets and belt loops style! I think this style would even be cute for a crib blanket, don't you?

I am also on an organizing mission this New Year. There are rumors of work on our addition, in which case we'll have to Move and Downsize to fit into the bunkhouse for an unknown length of time.

I got so tired of hunting down cords and chargers for this phone or that camera, sometimes having no idea where they were and no idea where else to look. I finally got this shoe organizer, and hung it on the back of the laundry room door. I can't remember where I saw this idea, probably Real Simple Magazine or somewhere, but it is a good one that stuck with me!


I sorted everything out, and labeled each pocket that has something in it. I do need to come up with a nicer and more permanent, more attractive, yet still flexible labeling system, but for now the paper-clipped sticky notes are doing just fine. And there are plenty more pockets to be filled! I'm very happy with this strategy. I just wish other things were so easily organized!


Do you have any ingenious organizing systems that are inexpensive, that have worked for you? Please share!

Also, I decided I will elaborate on the cool projects Number One is working on, in between fixing our water situation every day, and also Ranch Hand's projects in another upcoming post.

Stay Tuned!

No comments: