Friday, March 28, 2008

Light in a Waterless World

What's that saying? "Water, water, everywhere, and not a drop to drink?" Something like that.

In an attempt to provide us with potable water, CG hired plumbers to run a line down from her secondary well to our houses. It is all finished, and we switched over the water last night. Imagine our dismay when the water not only smelled like plumbing glue (nasty chemicals) but also had sand in it. Number One and RH decided to try to flush out the system using garden hoses. (And I wonder if the plumber didn't get mad at me when I asked him to not drive so fast down here and drop a glob of glue inside the pipes before they buried it)

This morning, when we awoke, we had no water whatsoever. There is something wrong with something (wiring? I forget) with CG's well, that will have to be fixed. So in the meantime, we are back to mystery-petroleum product-smelling water. I do think it might be getting better.

And we've heard that an environmental consulting firm may show down here in the near future. I just hope they focus on the root of the problem, i.e. start with the well, before jumping to conclusions. I believe I've said this before.

So, with all this in mind, I'm attempting to find some positives. Since we're back on the old well, I can continue to catch up on laundry (it doesn't smell after it comes out of the dryer, so that's good). Whee.

Incidentally, we've been dying to have people over for dinner, but have been avoiding it because we have no water. In case you're wondering. We may just go ahead and invite people down anyway, as there seems to be no end in sight to our nasty water dilemma.

Oh, I can't wait until I can get a glass of water out of the tap, wash the pots and pans without heating "good" water out of jugs to do so, and take a shower any time I like in my own house! I wonder if Culligan would come down here...oh, and it would be just awesome if my computer would stop crashing. Is all that too much to ask?

On a positive note, I took some pictures with my cell phone yesterday, to show you how well my beautiful plants are doing in the town house. My geranium LOVES the sun room, it has been in beautiful bloom all winter long. The succulents I got in Santa Barbara are loving it there too:


No comments: