Saturday, March 8, 2008

Found: Roger, Cowboy


I say "found" because we didn't know where he was for a few years. Ole Roger "Dodger" has worked at the ranch on and off for many years, since Number One was born, I think. We sent Christmas cards, but for several years in a row they were returned. And we were getting worried.

When Number One and I went to Santa Barbara, we drove up to Lompoc (last known residence) and searched for hours, everywhere we could think of. (When he didn't turn up in the cemetery, we were even more determined to track him down!) I was going through the phone book in a gas station, looking for his sister Diane "with a last name that is like Schultz, but not Schultz" (our last-ditch effort with help from Lee back home), and there she was. We drove to the address listed, and found an apartment complex. Number One started knocking on doors, and she thankfully decided to open the door to a stranger, and then Dodge came over, alive and well.

We were so happy to see them, and we had a great visit, spent the rest of the day with them. The boys loved playing with Diane; she made them lunch and kept them entertained. It's good to find people you've been missing. We hope Roger and Diane will come visit us at the ranch this summer.

1 comment:

kdwhorses said...

How great that is that you found him and had such a great visit! What a great memory!