Saturday, August 8, 2009

It's That Time Again...Updated with Results!

That's right, it's County Fair time! (scroll down for results + judges comments, plus my comments about the whole deal below Class 6)

I hadn't had any time to get any photo submissions together for the fair this year, but I started to feel bad about it. I decided my being busy was no excuse for not submitting photographs, especially since I won every category last year. I also managed to sell two photographs last year due to the County Fair exhibit.

How could I not try again this year? So at the last minute, I decided to enter. I ordered prints and mounting boards and supplies, paid for overnight delivery and HOPED everything would arrive in plenty of time. And what do you know, everything did arrive!

There was a slight problem with the self-adhesive mounting board I ordered this year. It was supposed to be "re-positionable" and wouldn't be "permanent" until pressure was applied. WRONG! I almost ruined my Still Life entry because the corner was going on crooked and somehow the adhesive had already become permanent! Grrrrr.

Not having much of a choice, I got out my old adhesive, which I love, and used the back side of the "self-adhesive" boards to mount my photos. I managed to iron out that darn corner with my brayer, now I'm just praying that it holds on there through the judging at least!

Without further ado, here are my submissions for the 2009 County Fair:

Class 1--Animals/Wildlife/Domesticated
1st place, Blue Ribbon
Judges comments: Nice use of light and shadow


Class 2--People

1st place, Blue Ribbon
Judges comments: Stunning sky!


Class 3--Still Life
1st Place, Blue Ribbon
Judges comments: Sausage texture is very interesting-would like a clearer center of focus



Class 4--Landscape, Plant Life, etc.
2nd Place, Red Ribbon
Judges comments: Good job! Clouds have interest. I'd like to see this scene with better light.


Class 5--Miscellaneous

2nd Place, Red Ribbon
Judges comments: Good job! I'd like to see the foreground in sharper focus.


Class 6--Postcard
(no picture of this one yet)
2nd Place, Red Ribbon



The last day of the fair was yesterday, so we went in to see the results and later pick up the photographs. Let's just say, I am going to take more time choosing my entries next year!

As far as the results, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. I was expecting a total sweep like last year, especially since I just chose the photos last week, but I was expecting to do better. The "best of show" this year was a photo that is so overdone and common (everyone who hikes to that spot takes the same photo) it was discouraging. And to be honest, if your photo doesn't get a blue ribbon, it gets a red ribbon. So really, red ribbons are meaningless to me, because they signify last place (there are no other ribbons, this "everybody's a winner" mentality drives me crazy).

Here are my comments about the judge(s): If you thought my photo mounting was "excellent," it makes me question your judging qualifications. I'd like to see a judge with a more creative vision that celebrates the unusual instead of the typical.


In the mean time, here is H-Bomb's photography entry in the 4-H division:


He won 1st place (honestly I think all the kids in his class did), a blue ribbon and $3. He was VERY excited about the $3.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Congratulations H-Bomb on your winning entry! Very cool picture! Love, Gram

Cheryl said...

I love all of your entries, Mindy. Don't have a favorite. How did you do?

Rene' said...

sorry u are disappointed in the outcome. The pictures are very good though. Maybe you'll sell some more from the show and that will be more important in the long run than the blue ribbon ? :) If anything, the experience builds character-it'd be too easy if you were ALWAYS in first place, now next year you'll really work at it and put your best foot forward and I'm sure you'll be happy with the results again. Plus , who knows, maybe some art dealer was perusing the fair and liked some of your work? TIme will tell :) Keep your head up and keep smiling-u take fantastic photos!

Cheryl said...

Next year you'll have more time to choose your entries. As far as we are concerned they are all great! Keep up the good work. You take fantastic pictures!