Thursday, December 4, 2008

Lost & Found

Jack

Sweet little Jack is missing. She and her brother, Donut, went missing before Thanksgiving. The other day, H-Bomb started crying about them on the way to school. He was getting mad and said "We need to go to the people's house who has our dogs and take them back!" And when we got to town, instead of eating his little lunch plate before school, he was all depressed and just lay there on the couch because he was so sad.

I made some calls. The nearest towns to the ranch are 35 miles in one direction and 60 miles in the other direction. In the farthest town are two rock climbing shops. We happen to live in a world-class climbing area. Unfortunately. I called one of the shops, told them about our missing dogs, asked them if they'd heard anything about any climbers picking up some new dogs in the creek. ("the creek" is what those climbers call our ranch. our home.) They hadn't heard anything, but were empathetic.

I made some more calls, to more people in both towns. Finally, a call to the Humane Society. They said they had a dog that matched Donut's description, and emailed me a picture. (but said, "he did not respond to that name.") Since we don't have the internet in town, I ran to the visitor center to use their computer for a minute. And there was our Donut, in a foster home, 60 miles from home. Sawed Off saw the picture and said "ON'T" (pronounced like "don't" but without the "d")

They also said they had a black and white dog, that may or may not be Jack, but who had been found earlier than we thought our dogs had gone missing. "But know that she's been adopted already," the Humane Society said. I wondered what this meant...if it was Jack, we couldn't have her back? Because someone found her and took her and then someone else took her and even though she's really our dog??? I didn't want to think about it.

A mixed blessing, but the black and white dog wasn't our Jack. I emailed back some pictures of Jack, and also a picture of Sawed Off hugging Donut.

I made arrangements to pick up Donut the very next day. That meant Number One had to take the boys to school, while I drove 120 miles round trip to pick up the dog.

I got to the Humane Society, and was talking with the lady who runs the shelter. I asked her if the woman who "found" Donut was a climber. The lady said yes, she is a climber. And told me the climber was reluctant to give Donut back. (which explains why he "didn't respond" to his name. Likely story!) This climber had KEPT our dog for a WEEK before she even spoke with the Humane Society. The Humane Society had only known about Donut for THREE DAYS when he'd been missing almost TWO WEEKS! This climber was upset that Donut's rightful owners had showed up to claim him. I understand getting attached to a dog, but Come On. He's Not Your Dog!! The lady who runs the shelter thankfully has a brain in her head. She showed the climber the picture of Sawed Off with Donut, and told her "He's their dog. End of story." The climber argued that the dog had been "so skinny" when she found him. The lady explained that he is a working cattle dog, he's slender and athletic, etc. There was more, but I'm tired of repeating the stupidity.

So anyway. I got Donut back. He was very happy to see me. And then I visited the climbing shops in person. I told them both that a climber had taken one of our dogs. I explained that it's not a "rescue," it is STEALING when you take a dog from their property, no matter how extensive that property may be. Climbers, especially local climbers, ought to know better.

After Donut and I got home, we made the rounds in some of the climber's camps, but it was too early (everyone was still out climbing or whatever) and I didn't get to talk to anyone. I was headed home when I spotted one truck, hidden at the end of a canyon. I talked to that guy, and although he hadn't seen Jack, he is very helpful and is going to take care of some things for us. I won't elaborate on that arrangement, but he feels the same way about climbers these days, and their sense of entitlement and arrogance and lack of common sense.

The whole way home, Donut was on my lap. Snuggling. Sleeping. Occasionally licking my face. Happy. He was excited when we crossed the cattle guards; he knew he was Home. He wagged his tail when the other dogs barked and howled at our return to the ranch. He jumped and pawed at his friend Mia. He climbed on Number One's lap on the couch and licked his face too. He snuggled up to the boys' hugs, more face licks. How anyone could take him and keep him away from his family is beyond me.

Today, I made some more calls, and emailed more people. I have enlisted the help of many more climbers, some of whom I used to know when I lived in town. I am hopeful that Jack might still be found. Honestly, with the tenuous relations between ranchers and climbers, I am still astounded that a "local" climber would STEAL one of the ranch dogs, without thinking to stop at the ranch and inquire. What was she thinking??

Welcome home, Donut!
photo by Jean-Claude Mezieres


We miss you, Jack-Jack. Come home.

No comments: