Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Real, Live Polygamist!

Tony Gutierrez/AP Photo

Although I've heard rumors of polygamists, and certainly nearby states have had their share of news coverage recently, I'd never seen a real, live polygamist before. That is, until TODAY.

Number One stopped by the feed store to buy dog food. The feed store is run by the owners of the thrift store, so you have to go in the thrift store to get them to come out to the feed store to sell you animal feed.

I usually just sit in the car during this whole process. But today, I decided to peek in the thrift store for some reason.

I walked in, and some creepy kid asked me if I was "looking for some i-tems." I did a loop, was walking towards the book section, when I caught a glimpse of her. Unmistakable, but in my mind I did a double-take. Was that...Prairie Garb? Was her hair...That High?

I honestly tried not to be conspicuous as I walked around to get a second look. Her hair certainly was that high, with a braid down to her hips. If the height of her hair and the length of her braid is indicative of her closeness to her prophet, that chick is RIGHTEOUS. She was wearing typical, denim-looking home-made prairie garb, long sleeves, high neck and all, in the heat of the desert summer. She made brief eye contact, with me in my skin-exposing capris, short sleeves and sandals. What a heathen. I wanted to ask her how many sister-wives she has. How old she is. How old her husband is. How many children she has. But I didn't ask any of those things. I just smiled, friendly-like, I hope.

What puzzled me was that she was alone. She also only had one child with her, a baby in a carrier. I couldn't peruse any longer without drawing attention, plus Number One was surely ready to go. I left the store, anxious to tell him what I had seen. He and I contemplated her situation as we waited for her to come out of the store. What was she driving? Are they even allowed to drive? Was she making a break for it? But we didn't want to be caught in our semi-stalking act, so we left before she came out.

Maybe next time, if there is a next time, I'll get up the courage to say hello. And if I happen to find the answers to any of my questions, you'll read them here.

No comments: